Dr. Christian Richardt
Christian Richardt is a Lecturer (=Assistant Professor) and EPSRC-UKRI Innovation Fellow in the Visual Computing Group, the CAMERA Centre and REVEAL at the University of Bath. His research interests cover the fields of image processing, computer graphics and computer vision, and his research combines insights from vision, graphics and perception to reconstruct visual information from images and videos, to create high-quality visual experiences with a focus on 6-degree-of-freedom VR video.
Christian was previously a postdoctoral researcher working on user-centric video processing and motion capture with Christian Theobalt at the Intel Visual Computing Institute at Saarland University and also in the Graphics, Vision and Video group at Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik in Saarbrücken, Germany. Previously, he was a postdoc in the REVES team at Inria Sophia Antipolis, France, working with George Drettakis and Adrien Bousseau, and he interned with Alexander Sorkine-Hornung at Disney Research Zurich where he worked on Megastereo panoramas.
Christian graduated with a PhD and BA from the University of Cambridge in 2012 and 2007, respectively. His PhD in the Computer Laboratory’s Rainbow Group was supervised by Neil Dodgson. His doctoral research investigated the full life cycle of videos with depth (RGBZ videos): from their acquisition, via filtering and processing, to the evaluation of stereoscopic display.
I am always looking for students!
Are you interested in visual computing, computer graphics, computational photography or video processing? I am looking for motivated students at all levels, from Bachelor’s, Master’s to PhD level. Please contact me if you are interested.
- February 2019
- We will be presenting our MegaParallax work (IEEE TVCG) and a sneak peek at our OmniMR work (poster) at IEEE VR 2019 in Osaka.
- January 2019
- One Eurographics State-of-the-Art Report and one paper to IEEE TVCG (to be presented atIEEE VR) conditionally accepted. More information soon.
- December 2018
We presented two short papers at CVMP 2018 on MegaParallax: 360° Panoramas with Motion Parallax (Winner of the Best Short Paper Award!) and Environment Reflections with 360° Videos.
I co-presented a half-day course on Cutting-edge VR/AR Display Technologies at SIGGRAPH Asia 2018 in Tokyo, Japan.
We also presented our paper on unsupervised attention-guided image-to-image translation at NeurIPS 2018.
- August 2018
- At SIGGRAPH 2018 in Vancouver, we presented our work Deep Video Portraits, Parallax360 and MegaParallax (poster).
- June 2018
- I have been awarded a UKRI Innovation Fellowship to work on 6-DoF VR Video. I’m hiring (see above)!
- May 2018
- We will present our Deep Video Portraits at SIGGRAPH 2018 in Vancouver!
- April 2018
- We will present our IEEE TVCG paper “Parallax360” in a special invited TVCG session on VR/AR at SIGGRAPH 2018.
- March 2018
I was co-presenting a full-day tutorial on Cutting-edge VR/AR Display Technologies at IEEE VR 2018 in Reutlingen, Germany.
Also at IEEE VR, we presented our IEEE TVCG paper “Parallax360: Stereoscopic 360° Scene Representation for Head-Motion Parallax”.
- February 2018
- Two papers accepted to CVPR 2018: Live Intrinsic Material Estimation (spotlight) and InverseFaceNet.
- December 2017
- Our paper “Parallax360: Stereoscopic 360° Scene Representation for Head-Motion Parallax” was accepted as an IEEE TVCG journal paper at IEEE VR 2018 in Reutlingen, Germany.
- November 2017
- Our egocentric motion-capture approach “EgoCap” won the Best Poster Award at Motion in Games 2017.
- October 2017
- Abhi and Gereon presented our work on live user-guided intrinsic video decomposition at ISMAR 2017.
- August 2017
- I co-organised a course at SIGGRAPH 2017 on Video for Virtual Reality, which covers the technical foundations, current systems in practice, and the potential for future systems of VR video.
- July 2017
- Our work on live user-guided intrinsic video decomposition has been accepted at ISMAR 2017 and in IEEE TVCG, and our work on combining predictors at test time has been accepted at ICCV 2017.
Abhimitra Meka, Maxim Maximov, Michael Zollhöfer, Avishek Chatterjee, Hans-Peter Seidel, Christian Richardt and Christian Theobalt
Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) 2018 (spotlight presentation)
Helge Rhodin, Christian Richardt, Dan Casas, Eldar Insafutdinov, Mohammad Shafiei, Hans-Peter Seidel, Bernt Schiele and Christian Theobalt
ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proceedings of SIGGRAPH Asia 2016)
Helge Rhodin, Nadia Robertini, Dan Casas, Christian Richardt, Hans-Peter Seidel and Christian Theobalt
European Conference on Computer Vision 2016 (spotlight presentation, 2.9% acceptance rate)