Dr. Christian Richardt
Christian Richardt is a Reader (=Associate Professor) and EPSRC-UKRI Innovation Fellow in the Visual Computing Group, the CAMERA Centre and REVEAL at the University of Bath. His research interests cover the fields of image processing, computer graphics and computer vision, and his research combines insights from vision, graphics and perception to reconstruct visual information from images and videos, to create high-quality visual experiences with a focus on 6-degree-of-freedom VR video.
Christian was previously a postdoctoral researcher working on user-centric video processing and motion capture with Christian Theobalt at the Intel Visual Computing Institute at Saarland University and also in the Graphics, Vision and Video group at Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik in Saarbrücken, Germany. Previously, he was a postdoc in the REVES team at Inria Sophia Antipolis, France, working with George Drettakis and Adrien Bousseau, and he interned with Alexander Sorkine-Hornung at Disney Research Zurich where he worked on Megastereo panoramas.
Christian graduated with a PhD and BA from the University of Cambridge in 2012 and 2007, respectively. His PhD in the Computer Laboratory’s Rainbow Group was supervised by Neil Dodgson. His doctoral research investigated the full life cycle of videos with depth (RGBZ videos): from their acquisition, via filtering and processing, to the evaluation of stereoscopic display.
I am always looking for students!
Are you interested in visual computing, computer graphics, computational photography or video processing? I am looking for strong, highly-motivated students at all levels, from Bachelor, Master to PhD level. Please contact me if you are interested.
I am currently looking for a PhD student to work on:
Deep View Synthesis for VR Video (from September 2020)
- October 2019
We will be presenting our HoloGAN paper at ICCV 2019 in Seoul, South Korea.
I also co-chaired the ISMAR 2019 Doctoral Consortium in Beijing, China, with Kevin (Kai) Xu and Feng Xu.
- August 2019
- I organised a half-day course at SIGGRAPH 2019 called Capture4VR: From VR Photography to VR Video, which comprised the latest and greatest in VR capture!
- June 2019
I presented our MegaParallax work (IEEE TVCG) at the IVRPA Conference 2019 in Belfast.
I am organising a course at SIGGRAPH 2019 titled Capture4VR: From VR Photography to VR Video. Join us on Thursday 1 August 2019, 14:00–17:15, in Theater 411, to find out about the latest and greatest in VR capture!
- May 2019
- I presented our State-of-the-Art Report (STAR) on Near-Eye Display and Tracking Technologies at Eurographics 2019. Please see the website for a video recording of our presentation.
- March 2019
- We presented our MegaParallax work (IEEE TVCG) and a sneak peek at our OmniMR work (poster) at IEEE VR 2019.
- December 2018
We presented two short papers at CVMP 2018 on MegaParallax: 360° Panoramas with Motion Parallax (Winner of the Best Short Paper Award!) and Environment Reflections with 360° Videos.
I co-presented a half-day course on Cutting-edge VR/AR Display Technologies at SIGGRAPH Asia 2018 in Tokyo, Japan.
We also presented our paper on unsupervised attention-guided image-to-image translation at NeurIPS 2018.
- August 2018
- At SIGGRAPH 2018 in Vancouver, we presented our work Deep Video Portraits, Parallax360 and MegaParallax (poster).
- June 2018
- I have been awarded a UKRI Innovation Fellowship to work on 6-DoF VR Video.
- May 2018
- We will present our Deep Video Portraits at SIGGRAPH 2018 in Vancouver!
- April 2018
- We will present our IEEE TVCG paper “Parallax360” in a special invited TVCG session on VR/AR at SIGGRAPH 2018.
Abhimitra Meka, Maxim Maximov, Michael Zollhöfer, Avishek Chatterjee, Hans-Peter Seidel, Christian Richardt and Christian Theobalt
Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) 2018 (spotlight presentation)
Helge Rhodin, Christian Richardt, Dan Casas, Eldar Insafutdinov, Mohammad Shafiei, Hans-Peter Seidel, Bernt Schiele and Christian Theobalt
ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proceedings of SIGGRAPH Asia 2016)