Dr. Christian Richardt
Christian Richardt is a Reader (=Associate Professor) and EPSRC-UKRI Innovation Fellow in the Visual Computing Group, the CAMERA Centre and REVEAL at the University of Bath. His research interests cover the fields of image processing, computer graphics and computer vision, and his research combines insights from vision, graphics and perception to reconstruct visual information from images and videos, to create high-quality visual experiences with a focus on 6-degree-of-freedom VR video.
Christian was previously a postdoctoral researcher working on user-centric video processing and motion capture with Christian Theobalt at the Intel Visual Computing Institute at Saarland University and also in the Graphics, Vision and Video group at Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik in Saarbrücken, Germany. Previously, he was a postdoc in the REVES team at Inria Sophia Antipolis, France, working with George Drettakis and Adrien Bousseau, and he interned with Alexander Sorkine-Hornung at Disney Research Zurich where he worked on Megastereo panoramas.
Christian graduated with a PhD and BA from the University of Cambridge in 2012 and 2007, respectively. His PhD in the Computer Laboratory’s Rainbow Group was supervised by Neil Dodgson. His doctoral research investigated the full life cycle of videos with depth (RGBZ videos): from their acquisition, via filtering and processing, to the evaluation of stereoscopic display.
I am always looking for students!
Are you interested in visual computing, computer graphics, computational photography or video processing? I am looking for strong, highly-motivated students at all levels, from Bachelor, Master to PhD level. Please contact me if you are interested.
- September 2020
- We will be presenting our work OmniPhotos: Casual 360° VR Photography at SIGGRAPH Asia 2020.
We will be presenting two papers at ISMAR 2020 in November:
- August 2020
- We presented two papers at ECCV 2020:
- MatryODShka: Real-time 6DoF Video View Synthesis using Multi-Sphere Images (oral)
- Combining Task Predictors via Enhancing Joint Predictability
I am co-editing a Research Topic (special issue) on Capturing and Sharing the Real World in Virtual and Augmented Reality in Frontiers in Virtual Reality | Technologies for VR (with Jonathan Ventura and Stefanie Zollmann). Abstracts due 27 October 2020, manuscripts due 3 February 2021.
- July 2020
- Five papers accepted: two papers at ECCV (one oral), two papers at ISMAR (one TVCG), and one paper conditionally accepted at SIGGRAPH Asia.
- June 2020
- I co-organised DynaVis – the second workshop on dynamic scene reconstruction at CVPR 2020. Watch the recording on YouTube.
- May 2020
- I will be co-chairing the ISMAR 2020 Doctoral Consortium, virtually in Brazil.
- March 2020
I will be chairing the European Conference on Visual Media Production (CVMP) in December 2020.
Three book chapters are now available:
- Capture, Reconstruction, and Representation of the Visual Real World for Virtual Reality: A state-of-the-art review of the VR Capture Pipeline, including neural scene representations
- Image-Based Scene Representations for Head-Motion Parallax in 360° Panoramas
- Omnidirectional Stereo: A new entry in the Computer Vision Reference Guide
- November 2019
- We presented our HoloGAN paper at ICCV 2019 in Seoul, South Korea.
- October 2019
- I co-chaired the ISMAR 2019 Doctoral Consortium in Beijing, China, with Kevin (Kai) Xu and Feng Xu.
- August 2019
- I organised a half-day course at SIGGRAPH 2019 called Capture4VR: From VR Photography to VR Video, which comprised the latest and greatest in VR capture!
- June 2019
I presented our MegaParallax work (IEEE TVCG) at the IVRPA Conference 2019 in Belfast.
I am organising a course at SIGGRAPH 2019 titled Capture4VR: From VR Photography to VR Video. Join us on Thursday 1 August 2019, 14:00–17:15, in Theater 411, to find out about the latest and greatest in VR capture!
- May 2019
- I presented our State-of-the-Art Report (STAR) on Near-Eye Display and Tracking Technologies at Eurographics 2019. Please see the website for a video recording of our presentation.
- March 2019
- We presented our MegaParallax work (IEEE TVCG) and a sneak peek at our OmniMR work (poster) at IEEE VR 2019.
Abhimitra Meka, Maxim Maximov, Michael Zollhöfer, Avishek Chatterjee, Hans-Peter Seidel, Christian Richardt and Christian Theobalt
Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) 2018 (spotlight presentation)
Helge Rhodin, Christian Richardt, Dan Casas, Eldar Insafutdinov, Mohammad Shafiei, Hans-Peter Seidel, Bernt Schiele and Christian Theobalt
ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proceedings of SIGGRAPH Asia 2016)