Dr. Christian Richardt
Christian Richardt is a Reader (=Associate Professor) and EPSRC-UKRI Innovation Fellow in the Visual Computing Group, the CAMERA Centre and REVEAL at the University of Bath. His research interests cover the fields of image processing, computer graphics and computer vision, and his research combines insights from vision, graphics and perception to reconstruct visual information from images and videos, to create high-quality visual experiences with a focus on 6-degree-of-freedom VR video.
Christian was previously a postdoctoral researcher working on user-centric video processing and motion capture with Christian Theobalt at the Intel Visual Computing Institute at Saarland University and also in the Graphics, Vision and Video group at Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik in Saarbrücken, Germany. Previously, he was a postdoc in the REVES team at Inria Sophia Antipolis, France, working with George Drettakis and Adrien Bousseau, and he interned with Alexander Sorkine-Hornung at Disney Research Zurich where he worked on Megastereo panoramas.
Christian graduated with a PhD and BA from the University of Cambridge in 2012 and 2007, respectively. His PhD in the Computer Laboratory’s Rainbow Group was supervised by Neil Dodgson. His doctoral research investigated the full life cycle of videos with depth (RGBZ videos): from their acquisition, via filtering and processing, to the evaluation of stereoscopic display.
Are you interested in visual computing, computer graphics, computational photography or video processing? I am always looking for strong, highly-motivated students at all levels. Please contact me if you are interested.
I am currently looking for a strong PhD student to work on:
Immersive VR Video Creation from 360° Videos (start: October 2021)
Bath Undergraduate/Master Students:
I am always keen to supervise exciting projects in my areas of interest. Please reach out.
Internships/External Masters/Research Assistants:
I am afraid we are not offering these at Bath.
- January 2021
- We presented our work on long-term localization in dynamic scenes at WACV 2021.
I am co-organising DynaVis – the third workshop on dynamic scene reconstruction at CVPR 2021.
- December 2020
- We presented our work OmniPhotos: Casual 360° VR Photography at SIGGRAPH Asia 2020.
I chaired the European Conference on Visual Media Production (CVMP) on 7–8 December, which was free to attend for all.
- November 2020
- We presented two papers at ISMAR 2020:
- Photorealistic Audio-driven Video Portraits (TVCG journal paper)
- Transitioning360: Content-aware NFoV Virtual Camera Paths for 360° Video Playback
I co-chaired the ISMAR 2020 Doctoral Consortium, virtually in Brazil.
- August 2020
- We presented two papers at ECCV 2020:
- MatryODShka: Real-time 6DoF Video View Synthesis using Multi-Sphere Images (oral)
- Combining Task Predictors via Enhancing Joint Predictability
I am co-editing a Research Topic (special issue) on Capturing and Sharing the Real World in Virtual and Augmented Reality in Frontiers in Virtual Reality | Technologies for VR (with Jonathan Ventura and Stefanie Zollmann). Abstracts due 27 October 2020, manuscripts due 3 February 2021.
- July 2020
- Five papers accepted: two papers at ECCV (one oral), two papers at ISMAR (one TVCG), and one paper conditionally accepted at SIGGRAPH Asia.
- June 2020
- I co-organised DynaVis – the second workshop on dynamic scene reconstruction at CVPR 2020. Watch the recording on YouTube.
- March 2020
I will be chairing the European Conference on Visual Media Production (CVMP) in December 2020.
Three book chapters are now available:
- Capture, Reconstruction, and Representation of the Visual Real World for Virtual Reality: A state-of-the-art review of the VR Capture Pipeline, including neural scene representations
- Image-Based Scene Representations for Head-Motion Parallax in 360° Panoramas
- Omnidirectional Stereo: A new entry in the Computer Vision Reference Guide
Abhimitra Meka, Maxim Maximov, Michael Zollhöfer, Avishek Chatterjee, Hans-Peter Seidel, Christian Richardt and Christian Theobalt
Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) 2018 (spotlight presentation)
Helge Rhodin, Christian Richardt, Dan Casas, Eldar Insafutdinov, Mohammad Shafiei, Hans-Peter Seidel, Bernt Schiele and Christian Theobalt
ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proceedings of SIGGRAPH Asia 2016)